While I was pregnant, I did a lot of research of what items I needed to have on my baby registry. I had never been a parent before; I had no idea what I really needed. Some of the registry checklists are helpful but I found that a lot of them had way too many items and didn’t really prioritize them in any way. When I turned to Google, I found a few blog posts from mom bloggers and it’s nice to see what items people would specifically recommend. That’s why I decided to do one of my own! Hopefully it’s helpful!
As you’ve probably figured out, every mama’s favorites are different, but here are the things I’ve used the heck out of in Riley’s first month home:
- Boppy Newborn Lounger; I have used this pillow so much in the first month!! Riley is a super alert and observant baby and he loves being able to look around. While supervising him, we’ve put this pillow on top of our dining table, on top of our coffee table, on patio tables outside by the pool – you name it! It’s nice because he can lay right there in our line of sight where we can keep our eye on him and he can watch everything happening around him.
- Gerber Gauze Prefold Diapers; We use these as burp cloths and they are amazing for that purpose. I am breastfeeding and have had no shortage of milk supply, so breastfeeding tends to get a little messy. A lot of other burp cloths I’ve tried just aren’t absorbent enough. If I didn’t have these, I think I’d be washing burp cloths every second of my life.
- Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Monitor; We opted to not spend the money for an owlet monitor but I’ve really loved this one so far. One of my favorite features at this point is that I can zoom in and span the camera in every direction to get a different view, all from the other room. There is also a feature to be able to talk to the baby and I can see that being so useful in the future as he gets older!
- Graco Modes Travel System; This has been a game changer. Especially for us because Riley will sleep really well in his infant carrier while in the car. It’s so nice to be able to pop him in and out of the car seat base when we take him anywhere and we don’t have to disturb him to put him in his stroller. There are tons of different travel systems like this out there, so I’d find one that fits your budget and lifestyle.
- Halo Sleepsack Swaddle OR Love to Dream Sleep Swaddle; During our stay at the hospital after his birth, our nurses helped us swaddle Riley and we did that every night at home for about a week… until he started fighting it hard and working his way out of it. We then had to rely on a sleep swaddle like these! Newborns have a startle reflex and they will wake themselves up with their arms if those aren’t tucked in. It also helps us feel like he’s comfy cozy in his crib. We’ve been using the Halo swaddles, but I like the Love to Dream swaddles as well! Our little guy is so active and seems to use the stretchy fabric arms like bat wings to build momentum and would throw himself onto his side (which totally freaked me out), so I decided to stick with Halo swaddles for now.
- GO by Goldbug Duo Car Seat Head Support; As weird as it is to list this as a must-have, I just really can’t imagine him in his car seat without it. I was terrified when we put him in the car to bring him home from the hospital and I’m so glad his head is completely supported. As a parent, I feel better knowing that he is comfortable and secure.
- Fisher Price 4-in-1 Sling ‘n Seat Tub; We got this specific bathtub because it grows with your baby. So far it has worked well for newborn sponge baths and he seems to like his baths (until I take him out of the warm water and into the cold – poor thing!). The sling keeps him upright and supported and makes it fairly easy for me to bathe him by myself.
- Ergobaby OMNI 360 Carrier; We’ve put him in his Ergobaby carrier a few times so we could take walks down our road and he has fallen right asleep in it. It’s easy to adjust, easy to wear, and has the ability to carry a newborn from the start (some of the Ergobaby carriers need a newborn insert).
- bblüv Trimö Baby Electric Nail Trimmer; I’ve heard so many moms say that they either were terrified to cut their baby’s nails OR that they got too close trying to cut their baby’s nails and felt terrible. This electric nail file is awesome! I just wait for a moment when Riley is calm and I take his nails and start filing. When he’s really out I can sometimes do it while he’s sleeping. Even if it catches his finger, I don’t have to worry about hurting him!
- Cloud Island Sleep N’ Play Set; These are hands down my favorite sleepers to put Riley in at night! One of my priorities is trying to make sure he sleeps well by keeping his nighttime feedings as low-key as possible. So when I change his diaper, it’s so helpful to have the inverted zipper which zips up from the foot. I can just unzip the bottom and leave the top all in place. Plus, the newborn and 0-3 months sizes have the built-in newborn mittens to keep him from scratching his face.
And I have one last piece of advice when building your baby registry! Make sure you have a few different items where you can set your baby down for a moment, whether that be a Pack N’ Play, a Rock N’ Play, the Boppy Newborn Lounger, or something else. It’s nice to have one for each of your main living spaces. I have an activity gym/play mat in my kitchen, a Pack N’ Play in my living room, and a Rock N’ Play in my office. I also suggest having at least two items where he or she can lay flat and at least two items that are a little more upright. Riley loves to look around and observe people around him, so he often doesn’t want to lay down flat like in the Rock N’ Play.
Here’s the thing – I hope this list is helpful to show items that I personally would recommend, but every baby is different! For instance, some moms swear by their Rock N’ Play, but that hasn’t been a favorite for Riley. Take it all into consideration and know that when your baby comes, you’ll figure out what works and what doesn’t work! You’ll know your baby best and you’ll inevitably have to buy a few more things that work for you!