If you’re following me on all the different social media platforms, there’s a pretty good chance you have already heard the news…
Nathan and I are pregnant!!!
Baby Anderson is expected to arrive May 31, 2018, so we’ll be waiting to see if we have a May baby or a June baby! We are completely stoked for this big adventure and this new chapter in our lives!! And of course, I had to take my first bump picture even though there is only the tiniest little pouch at this point!
The first trimester has been a bit of a roller coaster and we’re sad that we weren’t able to share everything as it happened, so we wanted to share some highlights:
- I’m not sure if this is normal or not, but we found out around 5.5 weeks! This felt so early and it seemed like forever before we could spill our secret!
- This also means I’ve been coffee-deprived for about two months now! Apparently they recommend that you limit your caffeine intake to 200mg each day. Normally I’d have about 3 or 4 cups daily and, man, does it suck to drink decaf or skip out on Starbucks when I’ve already hit my caffeine limit! One 12 oz. cup of coffee just ain’t cutting it!
- We had our first ultrasound right after we got back from our Texas trip at about 7.5 weeks. Our little babe seriously looked like a misshapen chicken nugget (see picture above), but with one HUGE difference… We could see the tiny twitch of a heartbeat on the screen!
- I didn’t really have morning sickness (thank you, Lord!!!)
- That being said, I was completely exhausted for most of October! Normally I end up heading to bed around 11:30pm (yes, I’m a night owl), but during those weeks I was falling asleep at 9pm! If you’re a business owner in your first trimester and somehow keeping up with blogging 3 times a week and social media posts, you are superhuman and I need you to teach me your ways!!
- Super smell is a real thing when you’re pregnant! I felt like I had been bit by a radioactive spider 😂 During our trip to Texas we stayed in San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas. So many cities means SO MANY SMELLS. But whyyyy are all the smells so terrible??
- There have been a few nights when I woke up in the middle of the night with crazy hunger. Nathan thought it was hilarious to wake up at 2am to me eating Boo Berry straight out of the cereal box in bed.
- Normally I am very decisive person. I make all the decisions and I know what I want. I’ve learned that my brain as a pregnant lady does not process things as efficiently (probably because I’m using all my energy to grow a human being). This means I have been more indecisive than I’ve been in my entire life. Where should we eat? What kind of floor should we put in the house? Should I make my ONE Starbucks drink for the day a trusty iced caramel macchiato or a caramel brulee latte because it’s only here for a limited time? Is it too early to have pregnancy brain?
And for all the pregnant mamas out there or ladies hoping to get pregnant, here are the symptoms and challenges I’ve had so far:
- When we first got pregnant I downloaded an app to track our progress and check on the safety of foods and medications. This was a great tool, but also a double-edged sword! I was so concerned that I would eat something wrong that I was almost paralyzed to make decisions about what TO eat. Don’t let it freak you out and talk to your doctor if you have concerns about what you’re eating! I think I could have avoided a lot of stress if I had come to this conclusion a little sooner.
- I didn’t have any morning sickness, but I did have to get used to spreading out my meals into lots of little smaller meals (when the hunger hits it is relentless!). I’ve also had some different struggles with digestion and heartburn.
- Those food aversions!!! Most people joke about pregnancy cravings so you hear a lot about that before pregnancy, but man, there are plenty of days when NOTHING sounds good! Sometimes I’m even halfway through a meal before I realize the food I’m eating really isn’t all that appetizing. I’ve had a specific food aversion to everything barbecue, but other food aversions have come and gone.
We appreciate everyone who is sharing in our lives and being a part of all our huge life moments!! I’m so excited to share more of our pregnancy journey and the adventure of becoming a mama to this little nugget.
I’d love to hear what you’ve experienced in the first trimester!! And mamas who have already been through it all, what should we expect in the future??